Jaidis

Juniper Grove

Blog of author Jaidis Shaw!

Wrong Number, Right Guy (The Bourbon Street Boys Book 1) - Elle Casey

May Wexler has found herself in a tricky predicament. After she receives a text from her sister in need, she rushes off to a biker bar that is most certainly not her usual hangout. Instead of her sister, she finds herself scrambling to safety after bullets start flying. When mysterious Ozzie comes to the rescue, May doesn't know whether to trust him or run for the hills. If she decides to trust the man with the beard, will her life change for the better or will she be left with a bullet in the heart?

This book is a hard one for me to review. On the one hand I found the humor refreshing. There were several moments where the dialogue or situations were funny. There was a chemistry between the characters that provided the familial joking and teasing. But on the other hand I was slightly disappointed with some of the characters. May, for example, would be a stubborn, high maintenance sarcastic woman one minute and then be cowering in the corner the next. Her character really jumped all over the place and so it was hard to connect with her. Ozzie was the same. He was written to be this chiseled hunk of a man who is tough on everyone and expects nothing but the best from people, but then whenever May is around he did a complete turn around. While some change of heart is expected, it is a romance novel after all, it just wasn't believable for me. I had a lot of trouble investing myself into the world the author created but stuck around hoping for something more. The ending was really rushed. The whole book is leading up to this big moment, trying to show the just how bad the antagonist is, but when everything plays out it takes only a moment and then it's over. It was a tad disappointing to be honest.

All in all, this was a light read that was enjoyable just for the comedic relief. It's nice to have some laughs while reading since so many books are heavy with drama these days. This is the first book that I've read by this author and since I'm so on the fence about this one, I would be willing to read another from this author.

I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.